At Iafrate & Salassa, P.C., our Birmingham divorce lawyer has the skills and experience to help clients resolve complex issues. As a law firm that concentrates on family law, we provide cost-effective, fully personalized guidance and support. If you are preparing to end your marriage in Oakland County, our legal team can help. To set up a strictly private initial consultation with an experienced Michigan divorce attorney, please contact us today.
An Overview of Divorce in Michigan
Are you preparing to end your marriage in Birmingham, or anywhere else in Oakland County? If so, it is essential that you know your rights, duties, and options under Michigan law. Here are four key things to understand about the divorce process in Michigan:
- Michigan is a No-Fault Divorce State: Michigan is a no-fault divorce jurisdiction. Neither party is required to prove that the other did anything “wrong” or “improper” to get a divorce. Couples split on no-fault grounds.
- There is a Six Month Residency Requirement: There is a six month (180 day) residency requirement for divorce in Michigan. At least one party must have lived in Michigan for the last six months. Further, if you are seeking a divorce in Birmingham, you should file in Oakland County. One spouse must have lived in the county for at least 10 days.
- Property is Divided Equitably (Not Always Evenly): Michigan is an equitable distribution state for property. A couple’s marital property is divided in a manner deemed to be the most fair given their financial and marital situation. A 50/50 division of assets may be awarded, but it is not guaranteed by Michigan law.
- Michigan Uses the Best Interests of the Child Factors: Parents of young children must deal with custody and visitation during their divorce. To resolve these family law issues, Michigan has 12 best interests of the child factors that will be evaluated to determine the proper custody/visitation arrangement.
How Our Birmingham Divorce Lawyer Can Help
A divorce is challenging—there are many legal, logistical, financial, and emotional issues that need to be addressed and resolved. At Iafrate & Salassa, P.C., we know how to help clients protect their rights and secure their future. Among other things, our Birmingham divorce lawyer is prepared to:
- Hear your story, answer questions, and explain your family law rights;
- Gather all of documents and information that you need to move forward;
- Represent you in any divorce settlement discussions; and
- Develop a well-rounded legal strategy to get you the best outcome.
Call Our Birmingham Divorce Attorney for Immediate Help
At Iafrate & Salassa, P.C., our Birmingham divorce lawyer is an experienced, attentive advocate for clients. We are a family law firm devoted to protecting your rights and interests. Call us now or contact us online to set up your strictly confidential appointment with an attorney. We provide family and divorce representation in Birmingham and throughout Oakland County.