Call for a free consultation.
(586) 263-1600


Divorce FAQs

Divorce FAQs

Clinton Township Divorce Lawyers

Going through a divorce is never easy. In addition to the many emotions involved, individuals often do not know what to expect, what steps to take, or how to get the most favorable terms. There are a lot of questions, and a Michigan divorce attorney can answer them all. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about divorce and their answers.

What are Grounds for Divorce?

Michigan is a no-fault divorce state. To file for divorce, one spouse must only state that there has been a breakdown in the marital relationship and that the bonds of matrimony cannot be preserved.

What if My Spouse Does Not Want a Divorce?

Due to the fact that Michigan follows no-fault divorce laws, only one spouse has to want a divorce. If the other spouse contests the divorce, it can slow the process, but the divorce will still ultimately happen.

How Much Does Divorce Cost?

Unfortunately, this is not an easy question to answer. The cost of a divorce depends on many factors. These include the county you live in, if any terms of the divorce, such as division of property, are contested, the attorneys involved, and the court costs. 

Do I Need a Michigan Divorce Attorney?

Yes. The procedural rules and divorce laws within the state are complex. A divorce lawyer in Michigan will inform you of the statutes relevant to your case, your rights, and make sure your divorce is filed and finalized properly. 

Can I Change My Name During the Divorce?

If you took your spouse’s name upon marriage, you could include the restoration of your maiden name in your final divorce judgment. Once the divorce is finalized, you can then begin changing your name with federal and state governments.

Is There a Waiting Period for Divorce?

In Michigan, couples without children must wait 60 days to get divorced. If the divorce involves minor children, couples must wait six months. Once the waiting period is over, couples can file their divorce if they are in agreement, or they can enter litigation, which is a trial by a judge.

How do I Serve My Spouse With the Complaint?

To file for divorce, you must file a Summons and Complaint with the clerk’s office in the county you have lived in for at least ten days. You must include the filing fee as well. The complaint is then served to your spouse. This must be done by an adult not involved in the action. Most people serve this through registered mail or personal service. Once the complaint has been served, an affidavit must be filed with the court.

Still Have Questions? Call a Divorce Attorney in Michigan

If you are going through a divorce, you likely already have a list of questions. At Iafrate & Salassa, PC, our Michigan divorce attorneys can answer them. We will talk with you and help you through every step of the process and take care of every detail for you. We will also negotiate with the other side to get you the best possible settlement or judgment. Call us today or contact us online to schedule your free consultation with one of our attorneys.

Contact our family law
attorneys today.

Effective Legal Representation From Respected Michigan Trial Attorneys


What Our Clients
Have to Say About Us

Schedule a Consultation

Call today or fill out the form below.